Archive

Archive for March, 2019
18 Mar

Symbolic move against Suu Kyi in Canada

Comments off

Canadian legislators have voted to strip Aung San Suu Kyi of her honorary Canadian citizenship.Canadian legislators, in a symbolic move, have voted unanimously to strip Myanmar’s civilian leader Aung San Suu Kyi of her honorary citizenship in response to crimes committed against the Rohingya minority.
SuZhou Night Recruitment

The move by the House of Commons lower chamber has no immediate effect because honorary citizenship is conferred by a joint resolution of both the House and the upper Senate chamber and officials say it must be removed the same way.

Suu Kyi received hers in 2007.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau told reporters on Wednesday that he was open to looking at stripping Suu Kyi of the honour but said doing so would not end the crisis in Myanmar, where more than 700,000 Rohingya have fled a government crackdown.

The motion on removing the honorary citizenship was proposed by Gabriel Ste Marie, a member of the opposition Bloc Quebecois party, who told reporters after the vote that “I think it’s a great symbol”.

The House of Commons last week unanimously voted to call the killings of Rohingya a genocide, a move that Canadian Foreign Minister Chrystia Freeland said at the time was significant.

“Our government supported this motion in response to her (Suu Kyi’s) continued failure to speak out against the genocide of the Rohingya, a crime being committed by the military with which she shares power,” said Freeland spokesman Adam Austen.

Legislator Andrew Leslie, who serves as Freeland’s parliamentary secretary, told reporters “that the machinery of government will chew over the details of what specifically is required to implement” the motion.

A US government investigation last month found Myanmar’s military waged a “well-planned and coordinated” campaign of mass killings, gang rapes and other atrocities against the Rohingya.

Categories: 苏州夜网 Tags:
18 Mar

US regulators sue Tesla’s Musk for fraud

Comments off

Tesla CEO Elon Musk has been accused of fraud by securities regulators.US securities regulators have accused Tesla Inc Chief Executive Elon Musk of fraud and sought to ban him as an officer of a public company, saying he made “false and misleading” tweets about taking the electric car company private.
SuZhou Night Recruitment

Musk, 47, is one of the highest-profile tech executives to be accused of fraud by the Securities and Exchange Commission.

Losing its public face and guiding force would be a big blow for money-losing Tesla, which has a market value of more than $US50 billion ($A68.8 billion), chiefly because of investors’ belief in Musk’s leadership.

Tesla shares tumbled 12 per cent in after-hours trading. Tesla was not immediately available for comment.

The SEC’s lawsuit, filed in Manhattan federal court, comes less than two months after Musk told his more than 22 million Twitter followers on August 7 that he might take Tesla private at $US420 per share, and that there was “funding secured.”

“Neither celebrity status nor reputation as a technological innovator provides an exemption from federal securities laws,” Stephanie Avakian, co-director of enforcement at the SEC, told a news conference announcing its charges against Musk.

Musk has long used Twitter to criticise short-sellers betting against his company, and already faced several investor lawsuits over the August 7 tweets, which caused Tesla’s share price to gyrate.

According to the SEC, Musk “knew or was reckless in not knowing” that his tweets about taking Tesla private at $US420 a share were false and misleading, given that he had never discussed such a transaction with any funding source.

The SEC said he also knew he had not satisfied other contingencies when he declared unequivocally that only a shareholder vote would be needed.

Thursday’s complaint also seeks to impose a civil fine and other remedies. The SEC does not have criminal enforcement power.

On August 24, after news of the SEC probe had become known, Musk blogged that Tesla would remain public, citing investor resistance.

Categories: 苏州夜网 Tags:
18 Mar

Bogey Hole rescue in Newcastle prompts warning for rock anglers

Comments off

A MAN was pulled from the water after being swept off rocks near Newcastle’s Bogey Hole on Thursday.
SuZhou Night Recruitment

The incident has prompted a safety warning forrock anglers in the region.

About 10.40am Thursday emergency services were called to the Bogey Hole, after a 28-year-old man, believed to be fishing, was washed off rocks and into the ocean.

The man was rescued by Surf Life Saving NSW and taken to Newcastle Beach.

He was treated for a hand laceration at the scene and taken to hospital for further assessment.

Meanwhile, all rock anglers are urged to follow these safety tips when they venture out:

* Always wear a life jacket

* Make enquiries and check weather and conditions before you leave home

* Observe first/fish later: watch your intended fishing spot to get an idea of the conditions over a full swell/wave cycle

* Carry safety gear; head protection, as well as a float and line to help anyone else who might be washed into the water.

* Never fish by yourself and always stand within sight of each other

* Make sure you let family and friends know where you are going and when you’ll be back

* Carry a mobile phone

* Never fish in exposed areas during rough or large seas and be aware that conditions may change dramatically in a short period of time

* Stay alert. Never turn your back on the sea

* If waves, the weather or swell threaten your fishing spot, leave immediately

* If in doubt, don’t go out

* In the event of an emergency, call Triple-0 immediately.

Further safety information can be found at:www.safefishing苏州夜总会招聘.au.

While you’re with us, did you know The Herald is now offering breaking news alerts, daily email newsletters and more? Keep up-to-date with all the local news – sign up here.

RELATED CONTENT:

THROWBACK: The Bogey Hole | PHOTOSBlessing of the Waters returns to the Bogey Hole | photos

Categories: 苏州夜网 Tags:
18 Mar

Eagles forward Liam Ryan charged with drink driving on eve of grand final

Comments off

West Coast’s preparations for a second grand final in four seasons have been thrown into disarray after impressive first-year forward Liam Ryan was charged with drink driving over a car crash in early July.
SuZhou Night Recruitment

The 21-year-old allegedly crashed a Toyota Rav 4 into a tree on July 2 and was found by police nearby at an Armadale park just after 6am, before being taken to Armadale Hospital for a health assessment.

West Coast’s Liam Ryan has been charged with drink driving on the eve of the grand final. Photo: AAP

Ryan said the mid-season incident “straightened me up” in an interview following West Coast’s comeback victory over the Pies at Optus Stadium in the first week of finals.

He paid particular tribute to Eagles full-forward Josh Kennedy and defender Lewis Jetta for helping him through some personal issues.

But on Thursday the club confirmed Ryan had been formally charged by police, who had been waiting for blood test results taken from the mature-aged AFL rookie.

Ryan will appear at Armadale Magistrates Court on October 9 on a drink driving charge of exceeding 0.08g alcohol per 100ml of blood.

The livewire forward has had a brilliant debut season for West Coast and an impressive first finals series to help the club qualify for its second grand final in four seasons.

West Coast in a statement on Thursday afternoon said it would continue to support the no.26 draft pick in dealing with the incident.

“While Ryan was suspended for two AFL games by the club at the time, it has and will continue to work closely with him, with his health and wellbeing always being a priority,” the club said.

“The club has kept the AFL informed of all circumstances around this incident and Liam has at all times co-operated fully with police.

“The club understands the media interest around the situation, but as this is an ongoing legal matter and it involves sensitive personal issues around Liam’s health and well being, there will be no further comment until the legal process has been concluded.”

Ryan earlier this month said the car crash came at a time of personal tumult.

“I had a bit of stuff going on off the field. But now I’m fine, I’m all cleared with all that, and just focused on finals footy,” he said.

Ryan has averaged 12 disposals and just under two goals a game in 12 matches for the Eagles in 2018, including six majors in his past three outings.

Categories: 苏州夜网 Tags:
18 Mar

‘Vicious, unprovoked and relentless’: Quartet charged after group attack

Comments off

Calling another teenager a “dog” allegedly led to a 19-year-old woman with a “below average learning ability” being kidnapped, burnt, stabbed andthrown, bound and blindfolded, into the Hawkesbury River by four of her former friends.
SuZhou Night Recruitment

The alleged victim, who Fairfax Media has elected not to identify, was picked up from a friend’s house on Saturday by four of her friends – Brooke Browne, 19, Matthew Leuthwaite, 22, a 16-year-old boy and a 17-year-old girl who both cannot be named.

Matthew Leuthwaite did not appear in a brief mention in court on Thursday, where he did not apply for bail. Photo: Facebook

Police facts seen by Fairfax Media suggest that on the way to collect her, the foursome allegedly decided to attack her.

Upon arriving at the Ambarvale address, the alleged victim was physically forced into a Holden Commodore where Mr Leuthwaite allegedly stole her iPhone and she was ordered into the car’s boot.

Ms Browne drove to her family home in Whalan, where the 19-year-old was tied to a chair with a phone charger and subjected to six hours of what investigators called “a vicious, unprovoked and relentless group attack”.

Brooke Browne, a mother-of-one, allegedly stabbed the victim in her right thigh. Photo: Facebook

Blindfolded, the alleged victim was repeatedly punched and hit in the head, hit with a wooden bat, stabbed in both her thighs and had 15 centimetres of her hair cut off. She was left with two stab wounds, deep bruising to her head and face, soreness, burn marks to her hand and “severe emotional trauma”, police say.

Police facts state that while her co-accused were allegedly torturing the victim, Ms Browne cleaned the kitchen and had a shower. When Mr Leuthwaite told her she had not done anything to the victim, Ms Browne, a mother-of-one, allegedly stabbed the victim in her right thigh.

What police facts call a “significant birth defect” meant the teen was “not able to physically resist any attack”.

After six torturous hours, the group allegedly decided to throw the victim in the Hawkesbury River about 5am on Sunday morning to avert police suspicion.

The foursome then got back into the Commodore and Ms Browne drove back to her home at Whalan.

The alleged victim managed to swim to shore and knocked on the door of a nearby home, where police and an ambulance were called. She was taken to Nepean Hospital.

A 19-year-old woman was allegedly thrown from the Windsor Bridge into the Hawkesbury River on Sunday. Photo: Tamara Dean

Police facts say Ms Browne attended Windsor Police Station on Monday and denied any involvement in an interview. She returned on Wednesday where police facts say she “freely implicated her involvement in this matter as alleged and agreed that her actions could have caused the death of the victim and would have caused her significant pain and distress”.

Later that day, the 17-year-old girl also handed herself in. Both were charged with attempted murder, aggravated kidnapping, wounding a person with intent to cause grievous bodily harm, and robbery with wounding.

The 17-year-old appeared in a Children’s Court on Thursday, while the 19-year-old unsuccessfully applied for bail at Penrith Local Court on Wednesday and will remain in custody until her next appearance.

Mr Leuthwaite also handed himself into Windsor Police Station on Wednesday night, and was charged with attempted murder, detain for advantage in company, aggravated robbery and wound person with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.

He did not appear in a brief mention at Penrith Local Court on Thursday, where he did not apply for bail which was formally refused.

On Thursday, the 16-year-old boy was arrested at a home in Wallacia and charged with attempted murder, detain in company with intent to get advantage occasioning actual bodily harm, aggravated robbery and wounding a person with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.

He will appear in a Children’s Court on Friday.

On Thursday, the alleged victim’s father thanked investigators for their work.

“I would like to say from the bottom of my heart a huge thank you to the police and detectives you have done a fantastic job,” he wrote on Facebook.

smh苏州夜总会招聘.au

Categories: 苏州夜网 Tags: